Good writing advice is hard to find. We’ve previously compiled various collections of writing tips from some of literature’s greatest minds; but we’re always looking to go one step further. As writers and creatives, our learning is built on the mentoring and advice of our peers and our mentors. The imparted knowledge they can share with us part of a long-standing tradition within the arts of helping one another to express ourselves.
Of course, the best type of writing advice is that which transcends the topic and becomes advice not just to inspire our best creative work; but also becomes advice by which we can live by, day-to-day.
Where can one find such advice, we hear you ask? Well, right here in this article, friendos!
In April 2018, we were honoured to interview Dr Chuck Tingle as part of our ‘Creatives in Profile’ series. The Hugo Award-shortlisted author of Space Raptor Butt Invasion and My Billionaire Triceratops Craves Gay Ass, and self-proclaimed as the “greatest author in the world” during one of the most incredible Reddit AMAs to date, Dr Chuck Tingle provided some tip-top advice to keep in mind when writing a book (and it doesn’t have anything to do with word counts). He explained:
“most important thing to keep in mind when making all things as ARTISTIC BUCKAROO is to prove love that is only thing that matters really everything else is just decoration. there are so many ways to prove love so there are lots of options, but it is very important to REMEMBER that only rule for all layers of the tingleverse is that love is real this is consistant across all timelines.”
On the subject of creativity, and what it means to be creative, Tingle opines:
“being creative is just being yourself and trotting with YOUR OWN unique way. just waking up in the morning and stetching your bones is creative because every moment is making infinate timelines. you are so powerful in your way because for every decision there are so many new worlds spinning off and if that isnt dang creative i dont know what is thanks”
10 writing tips from Dr Chuck Tingle
Alongside his other timeless advice for writers, creatives, and just all-round human beings – Tingle also provided us with a short list of more prescriptive pieces of advice for writers. Read them below:
- drink chocolate milk buddy not that sick water throw that out
- you are important and so is your way. this is already a story that can be told
- the void is not worth your curiostiy
- listen to your buds
- there is something to learn from traditional horseplay and there is something to be learned from modern trots. respect both
- dont try to tell people what art is you will always be wrong
- there is not very much that separates you from a big timers sometimes it is hard work and sometimes it is luck but its almost never talent
- spend time with your family
- have gratitude if you dont youll look like a goofball and youll feel like one too
- prove love always